No Bra Should Hurt!
You've probably already heard that 3 out of 4 women are wearing the wrong bra size. So how do you know if you're one of them? Pain is the most obvious sign - wearing a bra should NOT hurt.
If you're running to the car at the end of the day to peel off your aching bra, it's definitely the wrong size or style. Other signs may be more subtle so we've put together of some of the tell-tale signs:
10 Signs You Need a New Fitting
1. Pain - including feeling hunched over because of poor weight distribution.1. (Did you know D cups weigh between 15 and 23 lbs! That kind of weight deserves great support.);
2. If you have deep indentations on your shoulders from your bras shoulder straps, particularly if your size runs in the range of plus size bras;
3. If the band rides up in the back;
4. If the underwire digs into your sides or into your breasts;
5. If your breasts overflow from the top of the cup;
6. If your breasts pop out of the bottom of the bra, particularly when you raise your arms;
7. If you're constantly adjusting yourself, either pushing yourself back into your bra or pulling yourself up back from the bottom;
8. If your breasts appear as a uni-boob, not separated;
9. If the center bridge (also called goring) is not laying flat on the middle of your chest;
10. If you get rashes underneath your bra.
So many women end up with the wrong bra size because many larger chains carry a limited range of sizes and have sales people who are unaware of true fit guidelines. So often because of the limited range available, the sales people will try to force a 32DDD into a 34D.
Unfortunately what this means for the woman who is a true 32DDD cup is an awkward fit because there's not enough support coming from the band. It will fit too loosely (75-90% of support should cup from the band and should feel snug), so the shoulder straps will carry undue weight. This translates into the shoulder straps digging into the shoulder, causing strain and leaving deep irritating indentations which become permanent over time.
Other issues can occur, like the back can ride up, the underwires dig into the breast, the breast can run over the top of the cup, among a number of other problems. The worst is that this can affect your posture, which in turn affects your entire look.
That's why when women finally find the right size bra, they look and feel ten pounds lighter and ten years younger. So, yes, the right bra really does matter! Fortunately, sizing help is here.
Because sizing is an art and not an exact science, a little trial and error is to be expected. Just as you must kiss a number of frogs before you find your prince, you must try a few sizes to get to the best one - but all the work will serve you for a long time to come.
When you're ready to try on some different bras, you can get started here. If you need any assistance, our helpful and friendly fitting experts are just a phone call away at 1-866-352-4494. Whether small-chested or full-cupped, your perfect bra is out there!